May 29, 2013

Smile...Give one Get one Free!


About one in every 2000 babies is born with natal teeth, so was I, like Napoleon and Julius Caesar. Dad and mom were very strict parents when it’s brushing or flossing the teeth. They always saw that I did it properly.

As a kid I brushed my teeth properly and they were always white and strong. I have only known Colgate, early days it used to be Colgate tooth powder and later the white Colgate tooth paste, now its max fresh or active salt at home. No other tooth pastes entered home, dad would refuse even free samples of the other brands.


I was one of those naughty kids, I used to pull, push, bite and open things with my tooth. If a bottle doesn’t open use teeth, if we have open a candy pack or box use teeth, as a result of which the front two teeth came out like a coconut scrapper. I was really happy with my coconut scrapper teeth for a long time, because I would eat coconut holding it with the shell!

My tooth came out even more, and I started to realize, I was looking ugly with tooth pushing out of my mouth! Overbite is this condition where the upper teeth protrude significantly over the lower teeth

Mom took me to a dentist to get me braces for my teeth. I had worn the temporary braces for three months and there was no effect. I had all strong white teeth with no gap between! The Dentist advised me to go for permanent braces! There came the big trouble. Four of my teeth had to be removed in-order to have those permanent braces. I don’t remember exactly, I think the doctor removed my premolars two from each side, one up and one down. I had to revive my wonderful smile so I had to bear all the pain!

In school and in college I was always called the Colgate smiling beauty! How can I let go the title! Every Time i pose for a picture I was asked if I was advertising for Colgate! Smile on my face is one thing that you cant miss! How can I let go that smile??


I wore those painful permanent braces for 10 months. I had to take special care of my mouth those days, whatever I eat used to go and stick to the braces. I had to avoid meat, pop corn, nuts anything hard and chewy was a no no! In 10 months my coconut scrappers had gone inside. The doctor cut the braces and gave me a temporary brace to be worn for 6 months. I wore it for 3 months.

I got back my face in proper shape. I got back my Colgate smile


There is a popular saying in Tamil “pallu pona sollu pochu” meaning we lose the ability to speak well if we lose our teeth

Scary teeth conditions

Tooth can develop cavities or caries. In this case the bacteria evade removal by brushing and saliva and damage the enamel and deeper structures of teeth. Most cavities occur on molars and premolars. Tooth decay is a general name for disease of the teeth, including cavities and periodontitis.

Gingivitis is inflammation of the surface portion of the gums, around and between the crowns of the teeth. Plaque and tartar buildup can lead to gingivitis. Plaque is a sticky, colorless film made of bacteria and the substances they secrete. Plaque develops quickly on teeth after eating sugary food, but can be easily brushed off. Tartar happens if plaque is not removed; it mixes with minerals to become tartar, a harder substance. Tartar requires professional cleaning for removal.

When gingivitis progresses, it develops into periodontitis, The bacteria on the teeth release toxic substances that harm your gums and cause them to become infected. The infection and the inflammation that result when your body attacks the bacteria can degrade your gums and the bone in your jaw even further. You may have exceptionally swollen, painful gums that are likely to bleed.



Thanks to my parents and to Colgate, I never had to face any such problems!


I reason behind my smile is
I practice proper dental hygiene
I don't let anybody get me down
I stay true to myself!
I think positive
I stay positive
I try to be a little nice to people
I have tons of fun!


You there, the one reading this now
I want you to do something
Smile
Smile because you are beautiful
Smile because you are amazing
because you're unique
because you can
because tomorrow is a new day
Smile because you deserve to


The moral of the story is listen to your parents when you are young, don't open cans with your teeth like I did, and keep smiling. Well, you know what to do to keep smiling :)

There is a beautiful old film song which starts with the beauty of pearl while teeth here

For details about oral health care please long on to "My Healthy Speak Blog"
This post is written for Indiblogger Contest for Colgate Pro-Gum Health

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent site. I enjoyed the site very much. Your experience about dental health that you say is very effective, I think. You will be pleased to know that we have recently merged and acquired two beautiful dental practices, now Occidental and I think we will be able to apply your experience what I acquired here. Thank for giving me a happy moment.

emergency dentist Brooklyn

che sara sara said...

Thank you Jesika :)

Unknown said...

nice post ...... detailed ..... but your title is the best :)